Transport for London (TFL) has set requirements for CCTV used in vehicles to ensure safety, data integrity, and acceptability. It is essential that the design and installation of equipment pose no danger to driver or passengers, even in the event of vandalism, misuse, or wear and tear compromising its electrical integrity.
To comply with TFL regulations, all newly licenced vehicles after 2021 operating in London required to be equipped with a comprehensive CCTV system. This system should include a recording device capable of capturing and retaining high-quality visual images and audio recordings from both the interior and exterior of the vehicle.
Only CCTV systems that meet TFL’s minimum requirements and have received explicit approval from TFL can be installed in licensed taxi and private hire vehicles.
ACSS is among the licensed providers of CCTV systems for TFL, utilizing AES256 encryption to ensure compliance with TFL’s standards for operating in London.
To safeguard the recorded footage, all data is protected with AES256 encryption and managed by either the driver (if they are ICO approved) or company. In the event of an incident, access to the footage can be obtained by contacting company, provided they are the designated data controller.
The primary objective of implementing the CCTV system is to create a safer environment for both taxi and private hire vehicle drivers and passengers. By reducing the fear of crime, deterring and preventing criminal activities, and assisting insurance companies in investigating motor vehicle accidents, the CCTV system plays a crucial role in enhancing security.
This regulation aims to ensure consistent compliance and enhance overall safety standards across the transportation network.
The basic requirements for Transport for London Taxi & PHV CCTV systems are as follows:
- The system must have the capacity to record footage for a minimum of 28 days.
- Clear signage within the vehicle to inform passengers that their journey is being recorded.
- Audio recording can only be activated for a maximum of three minutes if either the driver or passenger feels unsafe and presses the panic button.
- The CCTV system can consist of up to four cameras, strategically placed to cover critical areas.
Regarding the retention of CCTV images, the selected equipment must have the capability to store images securely and in compliance with data protection standards. This can be achieved through its own encrypted hard drive, a fully secured and appropriately encrypted detachable mass storage device (such as a compact flash solid-state card), or by transmitting data in real-time using fully secured and appropriately encrypted GPRS (GSM telephone) signalling to a secure server within the service provider’s monitoring centre, if storage facilities are provided by a third-party provider.
All taxis and private hire vehicles equipped with a CCTV system must prominently display the required signage. Additionally, drivers may verbally inform passengers about the presence of CCTV equipment in the vehicle if they deem it necessary. The positioning of the signage should prioritize minimal obstruction of vision while maximizing visibility for passengers before and after entering the vehicle, in accordance with the guidelines outlined here.
Why Choose Cabcams for Your London Transportation Needs?
- TfL Approved Systems: Our CCTV solutions meet all Transport for London's stringent requirements, guaranteeing safety, data integrity, and acceptability.
- Dual Camera Systems: Equipped with dual cameras, our systems capture high-quality visual images and audio recordings from both the interior and exterior of your vehicle, enhancing security and accountability.
- Easy Installation: Installing our CCTV systems is hassle-free, ensuring no danger to drivers or passengers. Plus, we provide comprehensive support to guide you through the process seamlessly.
- Secure Data Management: With AES256 encryption, your recorded footage remains protected, managed either by the driver (if ICO approved) or the designated data controller, ensuring confidentiality and compliance with data protection standards.
- Enhanced Safety Standards: Our CCTV systems play a crucial role in creating a safer environment for both drivers and passengers by deterring criminal activities and assisting in accident investigations.
Key Features of Our TfL-Compliant CCTV Systems:
- 28-Day Footage Retention: Our systems have the capacity to record footage for a minimum of 28 days, meeting TfL's regulations for data retention.
- Clear Signage: Clearly inform passengers that their journey is being recorded with our prominent signage, ensuring transparency and compliance with regulations.
- Panic Button Activation: In case of emergencies, audio recording can be activated for up to three minutes by either the driver or passenger, enhancing safety and security.
- Flexible Camera Placement: With up to four strategically placed cameras, our systems cover critical areas of your vehicle, maximizing visibility and security.
Seamless Data Storage Options:
- Encrypted Hard Drive (AES256)
- Secure Detachable Mass Storage Device
- Real-Time Data Transmission to a Secure Server
Promote Your Safety with Cabcams CCTV Systems:
Ensure compliance with TfL regulations and enhance the safety of your passengers and drivers with Cabcams CCTV solutions. Shop now and experience peace of mind on the road!